Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Those Winter Falls

Winter is coming.

As much as my heart is not ready to admit that, this second big snowfall has me starting to face reality.

I love Fall. So much. The cooler weather, the leaves, the crisp feeling. The excuse for sweater weather. Fall is by far my favourite season. It also feels shockingly short here. Especially when we have had 2 big snowfalls already during my fall season. Not feeling it.

However, these early snowfalls are a good reminder to get ready for the upcoming winter.

And that means winter safety! 

We think so much as staying warm. Dry. Avoiding shovelling and scraping windows. But do we stop and think about how to make sure we are safe with this change in weather? 

I didnt used to. I had plenty of big wipeouts on the ice growing up. Usually rushing to school and sliding down the driveway. Or faceplanting on a side walk. Then I grew up a bit and seemed to forget all about them. Until I fell. Hard. Until I was 7 months pregnant, slipped on black ice, and broke my fall with my arm to protect the baby. Babe was fine but my shoulder was not so much. So I have been there. I have been the one that has injured myself falling and then went to physio for some rehab.

So as a quick little reminder, winter is a time for falls. 

We often are just trying to get things done, going on auto pilot, we are busy and distracted. We forget it is slick. 

A few things to just remember to try and help you avoid falls:

  1. Slow down
  2. Check your footwear- or add yak tracks! Dont just think those cute shoes will have enough traction.
  3. If you want to wear the cute shoes, put them in your bag and wear them inside. 
  4. Hold onto something when available, like a rail
  5. Keep your hands free so if you do slip you can grab onto something or try and brace your fall
  6. Walk where it’s clear so you can see if it’s slick or not
  7. Shovel in small chunks ( ill write more about shovelling late, its a big topic)

Be safe! And if you have an unfortunate slip I would be happy to help you get feeling better.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What is Vestibular Rehabilitation?

Have you ever experienced dizziness, a loss of balance or feelings of the room spinning? Have you had sensitivity to light and sound and ha...